Overcoming narcissist Abuse, by Elizabeth Shaw.
If the narcissist in your life was one of your parents, a sibling, a friend, a work colleague or your partner. It’s a horrific experience and most likely to have taken you through an extremely painful Time both for your physical and mental health experience. Causing psychological, emotional pain and trauma.
You can not erase your past, you can make your future great. Taking care of your self to heal from the trauma of the abuse you’ve suffered at the hands of the narcissist is vital for healing.
1. Try to get sleep, this can be difficult to start for some, put soothing music on, take naps if you can during the day, try not to sleep all day, if that’s what you need for a couple of days that’s fine, but set a limit for when you’re going to get up and make a conscious effort to live your life again.
2. Learn to say no to things you don’t agree with, things that don’t make you feel good, things that make you unhappy saying yes too.
3. Find sometime during the day to relax, if you have children, either after they go to bed or get up 15 minutes before they do, find some form of meditation, yoga, listening to motivational videos, reading a good book, praying, listening to calming of uplifting music, any activity you enjoy, or go back to activities you could not do whilst with the narcissist, find something you enjoy and take some time out for you, even if it’s only for 5/10 minutes a day.
4. Learn to stop worrying about judgment and what others think of you, they haven’t been on your journey, those who have will understand you, the more independent you become with your thinking, the more values and self-belief you build up within yourself will eliminate toxic people from your life. You will not lose good people, so long as your intentions are good and you are kind to others, then you can not say or do the wrong thing, only to a narcissist, those people are not worthy of you. You are free to have opinions and be who you want to be.
5. Get some fresh air if you can and see the beauty in the word, exercise, walking, running weight lifting, team sports. Whatever you enjoy.
6. Get out and meet new people, this can be hard whilst overcoming anxiety, even if you just step out of the door for five minutes, tell yourself you can then next time do it for 10. Keep going and never give up on you. Try reading groups, writing groups, support groups, go to college, uni, do online courses, whatever you enjoy and would like to do for you.
7. Try to feed your body good food. Clean up you’re diet if you can.
8. Get creative in things you enjoy, cooking, cleaning, gardening, writing, painting, poetry, sport, whatever it is find the things you enjoy doing.
9. Get the support you need, be it a family member, a friend, an online group. Take your time and find someone who is supportive of you.
10. Bring your sense of humour back out of its shell, yes live is hard, yes life is real, yes abuse is wrong, laughing is so helpful to you and to others, laughter is the best medicine, take the jokes intended from quotes and memes, they’ve not been made to hurt you, they been made to make you smile and shine again, by it a dry sense of humour, a dirty sense of humour, a clean sense of humour, a blond moment sense of humour, a copied joke. Be who you want to be, laugh with others, allow others to laugh at you in a caring way, and laugh at those in a caring way who don’t take offence to its, when you laugh at yourself, and people laugh at you, you are laughing together.
11. Tune into and listen closely to your intuition, it’s an amazing gift that when listened to can help you, even when you don’t understand what it’s helping you with, follow that gut feeling.
12. Pay compliments to those around you.
13. Embrace the love and encouragement from those who want to see you do well.
14. Smile at everyone, you never know who’s day you’ll brighten.
you can feel self-worth, self-love, calm, inspired, inner happiness, hopefully, loved. Getting back in control and in charge of your own life. You can and you will. You have a beautiful heart and soul and you deserve inner peace and happiness.