Why is it so hard to have a conversation with a narcissist?
A narcissist does not like it when you question them, as they believe in their eyes, they are entitled to do as they please, that they are superior to you. They shouldn’t be questioned about what they have or haven’t done, where they have and haven’t been, or who they’ve been with. As they will never be accountable, it’ll always be Projected onto what you did or did not do, where you’ve been and who with.
To a narcissist, unless they want you to know, ( often to provoke a reaction from you, ) where they’ve been and who with then it is nothing to do with you, they’ll usually take questions as criticism. If you ask a question just to make a conversation with them, if you ask wanting to know, or if you ask because you’re demanding the truth. This will trigger a reaction from them. They do not want you questioning them, if you’ve questioned them deliberately or not, they feel criticism of their rights of entitlement to do as they please and their control over you slipping away. So they have to react to your question, but in a way to get you left doubting yourself and wondering what just happened.
Even if you just ask to make conversation with them “ where have been? Did you had fun this evening?”
If your question is in a manner, where they feel criticism, then they can lash out, to them this will be your fault, not only have you criticised them, you also undermined their superiority.
They do class any form of questioning as them being accountable to you, which in their eyes, they are only responsible for themselves, no one else matters. They take this as them not entitled to do as they please, this angers them, their rage rises, and they have to get you back. They have to get their authority back and control back of you, and they also need your emotional reactions to heal the criticism they believe they have received from you.
If you ask in an angry or irritated way, they enjoy that they have gotten to you and are receiving emotional questioning from you.
If you ask why they’ve not washed the pots or cut the grass in an irritated manner, their anger isn’t always triggered as they know they’ve gotten to you, they are enjoying the emotional reactions from you. As you’ve challenged them, criticised them, they don’t like you questioning their authority, yet because of how you did it, they see an excellent opportunity to gain more emotions and reactions from you.
They will never admit they are in the wrong, as they believe you are in the wrong, they will never let you settle a disagreement as to them, you shouldn’t have questioned them in the first place, they are superior and don’t need to answer to you.
They will reject any questions you may ask that challenges their behaviour, they will not explain any truth to what has happened and not admit any fault, as they feel no need to do this. What they must do now is not resolve the situation they must regain their power and control over you.
They will evade any questions you ask.
You will never be able to have a normal conversation with a narcissist about anything within the relationship that concerns you. Their response is often, scary, puzzling, strange, off-topic, confusing.
They will refuse to answer the question, to make you annoyed, frustrated, angry and confused that you can not just have a straight forward conversation with them. They just have an instinctive response to any form of questioning, and some have a more calculated response. These are some ways you may have found they respond.
A few examples of how they may respond.
1. They might try the guilt trip “How dare you? After everything I do for you.” which you then question what they actually do for you.
2. It could be the “ Why can you not leave me alone, can we not just have a normal, simple, quiet life.” Even though you only asked if they’d had a good day, it’s just to leave you hurting, and confused, fear speaking up.
3. They may completely change the conversation, the topic switch, to something like. “I think we need to buy a new car.” Or to something happening at work, or some gossip they’ve overheard. Which is usually a lie anyway. When you try to get it back to the original conversation, they will they carry on deflecting.
4. To deflect by Triangulation. They will shift the topic of conversation onto other people, away from them. To make the change in conversation onto talking about other people. Things like. “My ex never questioned me, why are you?” which leaves you with more questions and doubts as they said their ex was crazy, or things like their friend don’t get questioned from their partner.
5. Repeatedly interrupting you, telling you that In fact, you’re not allowing them to get a word in edgewise. Twist it around onto you, again leaving you confused as it’s actually you that cannot get your point of view across. They will tell you that you’re raising your voice, you need to calm down, you need to think about how you’re speaking to them, projecting to confuse you, to get you going, again not actually engaging in the conversation you started. So you have to start defending yourself to them, again they will twist it straight back at you.
6. They might just demand that the conversation is over, they’ve had enough of talking, to have the final say, they might spit in your face or push you. Then walk away from you.
7. After they’ve walked away, you may then receive The Narcissists Silent Treatment, for as long as they wish to do so.
8. They will Intimidate, raise their voice above yours, as you can not be heard, they feel you can not challenge them, leaving you in disappear, because you can not get your point of view across. They no longer listen to what you say. Instead, they see your frustration and anger. They then enjoy how they’ve gotten to you.
9. They might start questioning you about things you’ve done, that’s far worse, even if it is all their mind. So you end up defending yourself to their questioning.
Many of us continue the conversation with them when they do these things because of our compassion, wanting to understand them and be understood by them, wanting the reality of what’s happened. You want to be heard and the narcissist to understand your point of view, you want it settled and sorted mutually.
A narcissist will not give us closure as they are only thinking from their point of view. They do these things, and many more if you question them. To Gaslight you, so you don’t know what happened, and it’s not sorted. To them it’s that you criticised them, they are in charge of you, they instinctively do it to protect themselves and regain control. Ride out the storm of the waves when they come at you, give no reactions you’ll not get the answers, look to yourself for the answers. Break free forever with No contact or Grey Rock., and live a happy life for you.
You can, and you will.
Why a narcissist can not see your point of view.
Why we need to stop explaining ourselves to a narcissist.
Click on the links below to join, Elizabeth Shaw – Life Coach on social media, for more information on Overcoming Narcissistic Abuse.
The online courses are available by Elizabeth Shaw.
For the full course.
For the free course.
To help with overcoming the trauma bond and anxiety course.
All about the narcissist Online course.
The narcissists counter-parenting.
Elizabeth Shaw is not a Doctor or a therapist. She is a mother of five, a blogger, a survivor of narcissistic abuse, and a life coach, She always recommends you get the support you feel comfortable and happy with. Finding the right support for you. Elizabeth has partnered with BetterHelp (Sponsored.) where you will be matched with a licensed councillor, who specialises in recovery from this kind of abuse.